Saturday, February 5, 2011

Appreciating the Little Blessings


I know I haven't posted in a little over two weeks, so I need to catch up.  I just wanted to reflect on the little ways God has blessed me lately.  Often times we are thankful for the big things He gives us, but we neglect to see how many small ways He shows us He cares.

For instance, today I was turning into Aldi's grocery store parking lot and realized that I didn't have a quarter for a shopping cart.  I was dreading having to take my youngest child inside and probably wait through a long line to get change before I even started shopping.   Just as I was about to pull into a parking space, I noticed an empty shopping cart right beside my parking space.  Even in the little things, God provides!

A couple of days ago I was bent over the tub scrubbing out a couple of icing buckets that I had gotten from a local bakery to use for storing bulk baking supplies.  My youngest daughter, Amelia, had followed me in there and decided to stick a finger in the sticky bucket that I hadn't washed yet.  It only took her a couple of seconds to put her finger in her mouth and discover how sweet the stuff was that I was trying to get rid of.  I watched her eyes light up as she tried her best to reach in again even though I had slid the bucket just out of her reach.  Watching her excitement over a new discovery at only 13 months is a blessing that only a mother (or I guess a father, too) can truly understand.

I also see His blessings everyday when one of my children climbs into my lap to cuddle or crawls into my bed in the morning just before time to get up.  I'm so thankful for each one of my children and for each moment that he gives me with them.

Thinking through these moments made me come up with a new-to-me verse to the song "God is So Good":

He's blessed me so.
He's blessed me so.
He's blessed me so.  He's so good to me!


Do you fail to see God's blessings in the little things?  I know all too often I'm guilty of it.  How has He blessed you this week? month? year?


PS - The picture at the top is a few months old.  She's grown a lot since I took it, but it's still one of my favorite pictures of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment